Recipe comes from Brenda Kwong Hing (my mom)
Sweet Potato and Onion Mash is a perfect side dish for Thanksgiving dinner. Only five ingredients! Dairy free, nut free, soy free, top 9 free.
- 3 medium Sweet Potatoes – cut in half lengthwise (roughly 20cm by 7cm)
- 1/2 large White Onion – thinly sliced (approximately 2 cups)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1.5 tsp Fresh Rosemary – finely chopped and divided into 1 tsp and 0.5 tsp
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wrap sweet potato pairs in tin foil and bake at 475° for 30-35 minutes, until soft.
- In a large pan or wok add onions and olive oil. Cook over medium-high heat. You want to continuously stir the onions, so they do not burn. When the onions are starting to soften, add 1 tsp of rosemary and balsamic vinegar. Turn the heat to medium and continue to stir the onions until they are caramelised, around 20 minutes. The onions will have halved in quantity and be slightly sticky. Take off heat and set aside.
- When the potatoes are done, remove flesh from skin and place in a large bowl. Mash the potatoes using a fork.
- Mix the caramelised onions and remaining rosemary into the sweet potatoes. If the mash feels dry, add a little more olive oil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Sides
- Method: Boil and Cook
- Cuisine: Side Dish
Keywords: sweet potatoes, sweet potato mash, vegan sweet potatoes, holiday sides