Sweet Plantains are vegan, refined-sugar free and gluten-free. Serve over yogurt or with a dollop of coconut cream or ice cream.
- 1 ripe yellow plantain (tender going on brown or with black spots)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1–2 tablespoons coconut oil or any high heat oil of choice (like avocado oil)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or date syrup
- Trim ends off plantain.
- Using a sharp or serrated knife, slice skin down the middle in the inner arch, making sure not to cut through the plantain.
- Peel and discard skin.
- Slice diagonally or cut into rounds, ¾ inch thick.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle with cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- Warm a cast iron skillet (or heavy bottom pan) on med-high heat with coconut oil
- To test if the oil is hot, place one plantain round into the pan. If the oil bubbles, the pan is ready to go!
- Sear for one to two minutes on both sides or until you’ve got a caramelized “crust on the edges”. It is okay if the crust is blackened a bit but make sure not to burn.
- Cover and cook for an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute if still not softened. This will depend on the ripeness of your plantain.
- Plantains should be crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Transfer to a plate, lined with a paper towel to cool.
- Serve over topping of choice. Drizzle with maple or date syrup
- If heat is too high, adjust while cooking plantains to prevent them from burning.
- Cooking time will be quick so it is handy to have all ingredients ready ahead of time.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Vegan
- Method: Pan-Fry
Keywords: sweet plantains, fried plantains, vegan plantains, vegan dessert, plantains