Spicy Bean Patties are top 8 free, vegan, and gluten free! They are great eaten like a hamburger, with a salad, or as a snack on the go.
- 1 can Lentils – rinsed and drained
- 1 can Chickpeas – rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 clove garlic – minced
- 1 small onion (approx. 1/4 cup) – minced
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Chili flakes (you can use more or less depending on how much heat you like!)
- 1/4 cup Oat flour (GF) or cornmeal
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Potato masher or fork
- Large & small bowl
- Frying pan
- Place lentils, chickpeas and salt in a large mixing bowl. Using either a potato masher or two forks mash the beans until they become a paste – it is ok to have some chunks for texture.
- Add the minced garlic, minced onions, chilli powder, oregano, and chilli flakes. Mix well.
- Place the oat flour in the small bowl. Scoop out the bean paste and form into a patty (roughly 1/4cup for ten patties). Roll the patty in the oat flour to lightly coat – pat the excess flour into the patty.
- Heat your frying pan. Add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the patties. Avoid overcrowding since the patties are quite soft and challenging to flip – you may need to batch cook them or use two pans. Cook on medium-high heat for roughly 5 minutes, until the patty is firm and crispy. Flip and cook the other side for another 4-5 minutes until crispy. Flip one more time and cook for a minute for an extra crispy patty.
- Serve fresh or store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
If your bean patty is super soft, then add a teaspoon of oat flour or cornmeal to bind it.
- Serving Size: 2-3