This Roasted Cauliflower Soup uses oats to make it creamy and nutritious. Vegetables are roasted together on a sheet pan and blended together. Gluten free, nut free and vegan.
- ¼ cup oats, cooked. We like Zego Double Protein, Purity Tested Oats
- 1 head large cauliflower, about 2 pounds, cut into even size florets. Rinsed & dry.
- 3 tablespoons EVOO ( olive oil, avocado oil or neutral oil) plus 1/2 teaspoon extra
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoon salt, divided plus 1/2 teaspoon extra or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 large shallot, skin on (about 1/3 cup rough chop after roasting)
- 3 cloves garlic, skin on
- Up to 6 cups water or (3 cups broth and 3 cups water). Less or more as needed.
- juice from 1/2 lemon or 2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup fine chopped parsley, cilantro or sprouts for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Measure out ¼ cup cooked oats. Set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, toss cauliflower with 3 tablespoons oil, cumin, coriander, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper.
- Brush ½ teaspoon oil on skins of shallot and garlic until coated.
- On a large baking tray, lay cauliflower, shallot and garlic cloves flat. Do not crowd.
- Roast for 20-30 minutes or until cauliflower is tender and slightly caramelized around edges. Gently toss with a spatula once. Let cool on tray for a few minutes.
- Reserve ½ cup of cauliflower florets for garnish and slide skin off shallots and garlic.
- Rough chop shallot.
- Pour cauliflower, garlic, shallots and oats into a blender with three cups of warm water ( or warm water/broth combo) and cooked oats. Blend until smooth.
- Add pureed cauliflower mixture to a medium size pot with additional water or broth as needed, add 1 cup at a time up to 3 cups or to desired consistency. Warm.
- Add juice of lemon or vinegar and 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoon salt to taste.
- Top with roasted cauliflower, chopped parsley, pepper, red chili flakes and a drizzle of oil.
- Wash cauliflower & pat dry before roasting otherwise cauliflower will steam.
- Make sure florets are evenly chopped and have enough room to spread out on baking tray to ensure a consistent bake and carmelization.
- Use a bowl instead of a sheet pan to toss everything with oil. The round shape of your bowl ensures that the oil coats every part of the cauliflower.
- Soup will thicken when cool. Add liquid when reheating. Adjust with salt and pepper.
- Category: vegan
- Method: roast and cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Dairy-Free