I was back home in Canada for a couple of weeks and took the opportunity to check out all the awesome allergy friendly brands we don’t get in Germany. One that I was excited to try was Enjoy Life. I was happy to see their chocolate chips at lots of big grocery stores and even some smaller organic and whole food places. Naturally, I had to get a bag and give them a try.
Raspberry Chocolate Crunch = Rice Krispies
Another thing I can rarely find in Berlin is Rice Krispies! The cereal situation in Germany is a tragedy. They don’t even have a word for cereal in German, so that explains that. Armed with Rice Krispies and a bag of Enjoy Life mega chunks, there was only one thing to make: copycat Crunch bars! I also had some fresh raspberries and thought “heck” why not add them too! Make it a little fruity for the summer.
Turns out chocolate, Rice Krispies, and raspberries are a match made in heaven! You get a sweet crunch from the Krispies and raspberry seeds. Plus all the chocolatey goodness you can dream of! The one thing to note about this recipe is it’s best eaten within two days because the Rice Krispies loose some of their snap, crackle, and pop. But let’s be honest; this treat probably won’t last longer than two days cause it’s cho-co-li-cious 😛
Did I mention it is free from the top 8 allergens and gluten? Yay! If you are looking for a quick food allergy friendly treat this summer, I suggest whipping up a batch of yum-o-la raspberry chocolate crunch.
Raspberry Chocolate Crunch is free from the top 8 allergens and gluten! It’s a sweet crunchy treat with a touch of fruitiness from the raspberries.
- 1 1/2 cup Chocolate Chunks (or chocolate chips)
- 1 tsp Coconut oil
- 1/3 cup Raspberries – mushed
- 1 1/2 cup Rice Krispies or their equivalent
- Melt chocolate.
- Mix the coconut oil into melted chocolate, use a spatula.
- Mix raspberries into chocolate. If the chocolate seizes when the raspberries are added, stir the mixture over heat until well combined.
- Mix Rice Krispies into chocolate.
- Spread the chocolate onto a parchment paper lined sheet. Optional: sprinkle top with Rice Krispies and lightly press them into the chocolate.
- Refrigerate until hard – at least an hour.
- Break into pieces and enjoy!
- Category: Dessert
- Serving Size: 1
Kortney is your typical atopic triad! She manages asthma, eczema, environmental and food allergies. Kortney is a co-creator of the online community Allergy Travels and co-host of The Itch Podcast. She wants to spread joy in a community that can easily see the hard side of life with atopic disease and believes that you can have a full life with food allergies, it may just be lived a little differently!