Nut-Free Strawberry Kale Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette is free from: tree nuts, peanut, sesame and gluten. Vegan option below in notes.
1 teaspoon, salt, divided
1/2 cup red onion, very thinly sliced
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 large bunch dino or lacinto kale or 2 small bunches, stems removed, chiffonade ( about 4 cups, tightly packed)
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shaved
1/2 cup red or tricolor quinoa, cooked or brown rice
1/2 pound strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced
salt, pepper to taste
For balsamic vinaigrette:
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 small clove garlic, crushed
3/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup red or tricolor quinoa
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Add quinoa, water and salt to a medium size pot. Bring to a boil. Lower heat. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Turn off heat. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Remove quinoa, stir and spread evenly to cool on a sheet pan. Set aside or store in a container in the fridge to use later.
- Place onion in a small bowl with apple cider vinegar and cover with water. Let soak for 10 minutes. Rinse and squeeze out extra liquid.
- Prepare kale as directed above and place in a large bowl. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Massage the kale with your hands, kneading and squeezing until they begin to wilt and become soft. Set aside.
- Add onions to kale. Toss to combine.
- Whisk together balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, dijon mustard, garlic and olive oil, adding olive oil slowly in a drizzle until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add dressing to salad, just enough to coat. Toss with sunflower seeds, quinoa and parmesan. Toss in strawberries. Adjust with salt & pepper.
- Salad can be prepped ahead in the morning and stored in the refrigerator. Add strawberries right before serving.
- Use short grain brown rice as an alternative to quinoa
- Leftover quinoa freezes well up to a few months or prepare quinoa a few days in advance.
- Nutritional yeast is a nice alternative to parmesan or leave out for vegan option
- Category: Salad
- Method: No Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Kale salad, strawberries, kale, salad, nut free, dairy free, vegan, lacing kale