A simple bread recipe, that rises for 8-12 hours and is baked in a Dutch Oven for a crunchy crust and a dense inside. The ingredient ratios in this no-knead bread recipe are what I found best for texture and taste after many experiments (some recipes call for more or less yeast and salt).
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dry active yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- Dutch Oven
- In a large bowl stir all the dry ingredients together so the yeast is spread evenly throughout the flour.
- Add the water and mix until everything is incorporated. The dough will be very sticky and soft.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 8-12 hours in a warm draft free area (I pop it in the oven). The dough will about double in size.
- After 8-12 hours turn on the oven to 400° and place the dutch oven inside. Let the dutch oven heat for 30 minutes.
- As the Dutch Oven is warming up, with floured hands, form a ball with the dough and cover with plastic wrap. You will need to use lots of flour while doing this because the dough will very sticky. I also coat the dough ball with flour, so it doesn’t stick to the plastic wrap.
- Once the Dutch Oven is hot, place the dough in the centre and bake with the lid on for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes remove the lid and bake for another 10-15 minutes, depending on how dark and thick you want the crust. (I prefer 10 minutes)
- Remove the bread from the Dutch Oven and let cool before slicing.
You can store this bread for a couple of days if wrapped in plastic. When you wrap it in plastic the crust becomes softer.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Bread
- Serving Size: 1