Coconut Granola is free from: peanut and refined sugar-free.
Loosely adapted & inspired from Liz Prueitt, Tartine All Day
- 4 cups old fashioned rolled oats or certified gluten free oats
1/2 cup almonds, roughly chopped. *See Notes for alternative
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup buckwheat groats
1/2 cup unsweetened whole grain rice puffs (Optional)
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup oat flour. I make my own, using old fashioned oats, in a mini food processor.
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup maple syrup plus 1 tablespoon. You can also use1 tablespoon brown rice or date syrup.
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 300 F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine oats, almonds, pumpkin, sunflower seeds, buckwheat groats, rice puffs, coconut, oat flour, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small pot on medium-low heat, combine maple syrup, olive oil and coconut oil. Stir until coconut oil is completely melted. Remove from heat. Add vanilla. Add liquid mixture to oat mixture. Stir well.
- Transfer mixture to baking sheets, spreading granola in an even layer and pressing down lightly with a spatula or wooden spoon. Leave 1/2 to 1 inch space around edges so granola doesn’t burn. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until granola is golden, light brown and fragrant.
- Rotate pans once to ensure even browning. Do not stir.
- Set baking sheets on cooling rack until completely cool. Resist the urge to touch or break apart because you will get big clusters once cooled. Break apart with hands.
- Transfer granola to an airtight container. Store in pantry for up to three weeks or freeze half for later use.
- To make nut-free; use 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, 1/2 cup sunflower seeds.
- To make coconut-free; omit coconut flakes and coconut oil. Granola will be less clumpy.
- If you cannot find whole grain puffs; use millet seed or leave out.
- Use ¾ teaspoon cardamom and/or ½ teaspoon ground ginger in addition to above spices for a floral flavor.
- Adjust level of sweetness by reducing sweetener to 1/3-1/2 cup.