Chocolate Chip Chickpea Cookies
Chocolate Chip Chickpea Cookies are nut-free, peanut-free, egg-free, dairy-free, soy-free, coconut-free, gluten-free & come with a vegan option.
Did you know that chickpea flour can also be the star in a sweet recipe? It is an excellent substitute to regular flour and lends a dense texture to these chocolate chip chickpea cookies.
The first time I made this recipe, my husband loved them and said they reminded him of a sweet samosa. Not really what I was going for, so I tweaked and tweaked and tweaked, to finally come up with this recipe.
I also wanted these to be easy to make with kitchen staples and not break the bank. The original recipe from Ambitious Kitchen calls for coconut oil and coconut sugar, which are both pricey. Plus I wasn’t a fan of the subtle coconut flavour.
Allergy-Friendly Chocolate Chip Chickpea Cookies
Part of tweaking Ambitious Kitchen’s recipe was to also make these chocolate chip chickpea cookies totally allergy-friendly, that is unless you are allergic chickpeas. And it worked making these top 14 free including coconut.
My favourite way to jazz up these chickpea cookies is to use smarties, which adds some colour and to add a little more texture with the crunch from the sugar coating. Smarties are not 100% allergy friendly (contains dairy) or gluten-free, but I know that there are some alternatives on the market. I haven’t tried them, but someone recommended Vermont Nut Free Chocolates Skippers (contains milk). Or of course, you can use your favourite allergy-friendly chocolate chips.
OHHH and before you start, a warning do not try the batter. Chickpea flour tastes excellent cooked, but definitely not my favourite raw.
Fall Free-From Cookie Swap
You can win a kitchen aid worth $350! If you win, you will have no excuse not to bake all these cookies since you will be the proud owner of the ultimate cookie making machine. Check out the bottom of this post for giveaway details.
To celebrate this cookie exchange, I made a video!
Check out all the other cookies in our fall free-from cookie swap below!
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars (Top 8 free, Gluten Free) by Nicole from Allergylicious
- Copycat Swig Sugar Cookies (Gluten- Free) by Celeste from Life After Wheat
- Soft Baked Vegan Pumpkin Cookies with Maple Frosting (Nut Free, Soy Free, Vegan, Gluten Free) by Jenn from Veggie Inspired
- Gluten free Snickerdoodles (Top 8 free, Gluten Free) by Brianna from Flippin Delicious
- Gluten free SunButter Cookies (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free) Sarah from The Fit Cookie
- Allergy-friendly Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies (Top 8 Free, Gluten Free, Vegan) by Chelsey from Chelsey Amer Nutrition
- Vanilla Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies(Gluten Free, Dairy Free) by Erica from Celiac and the Beast
- Apple Spice Snickerdoodles (Gluten Free, Dairy Free Option) by Amanda from Eat at Our Table
- Pumpkin Spice Crinkle Cookies (Top 8 Free, Gluten Free) by Kristin from The Prioritized Group
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Sugar Cookies (Vegan, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free) byJenna from The Urben Life
Giveaway ends on 9/19 at 11:59pm EST and 1 random winner will be announced within 48 hours. Good luck! Local to the United States Only. This giveaway is not sponsored by Instagram or KitchenAid.Print
Chocolate Chip Chickpea Cookies
- Author: Kortney Kwong Hing
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 11 minutes
- Total Time: 26 minutes
- Yield: 12–14 cookies 1x
Allergy-friendly chocolate chip chickpea cookies are delightful dense cookies that get their texture from chickpea flour instead of regular flour. These are easy to make and come with a vegan option.
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- 1/4 cup Honey or Maple Syrup
- 1/4 cup Apple Sauce
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 cup Chickpea Flour
- 3/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips or Smarties or a combo!
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Parchment paper
- Baking tray
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix all the wet ingredients in a medium bowl. Make sure they are well combined – this may take a little white when using a spatula or quickly with a whisk.
- Using a hard spatula or wooden spoon, mix chickpea flour, baking soda and salt together in a separate bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mix well.
- Add chocolate and mix until evenly distributed.
- Using two spoons, scoop out some batter and using the second spoon push off the batter onto a parchment paper lined tray. Leave an inch around each cookie – they do not expand much while baking.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes, until golden brown.
Recipe adapted from Ambitious Kitchen.
- Serving Size: 1
*This post contains affiliate links
Kortney is your typical atopic triad! She manages asthma, eczema, environmental and food allergies. Kortney is a co-creator of the online community Allergy Travels and co-host of The Itch Podcast. She wants to spread joy in a community that can easily see the hard side of life with atopic disease and believes that you can have a full life with food allergies, it may just be lived a little differently!
These look super cool! I’m going to give them a try and surprise my family – great recipe!
I hope they love them 😀
I have just enough chickpea flour to try this!! I’ll let you know what I think 🙂 I’m really excited to try this. I love better-for-you treats