Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits, super easy to make and go great with almost everything. As someone who doesn’t eat store-bought bread, it can be tricky when you want something bread-y but have no time to proof dough and don’t feel like kneading forever! These Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits are my go-to solution!
I never really used buttermilk much until I moved to Germany where it is a pretty regular commodity. Buttermilk, if you can believe it, is a normal thing to drink here. Nothing hits the spot like a glass of buttermilk! Weird! Ew! Or is it just me? We seem to have buttermilk in the fridge quite often, and these biscuits are a great way to use it up.
I don’t know the origin of this recipe. I do know that it was given to me by my mom a while back and transferred into my favourite recipe book (also from my mom), which I hope to one day make a family heirloom. ❤️
Tips for making cheddar buttermilk biscuits
Don’ overmix your biscuits
The trick to making biscuits is not to overmix the dough. I always find it incredibly tempting to mix everything so it’s beautiful and smooth, but don’t trust me.
Buttermilk biscuits require a gentle touch
The beauty of these babies is kneading requires a gentle touch and not much else. When kneading them, you just want the dough to come together and be smooth. Once it is smooth, stop. It should only take about 4 or 5 kneads. Remember, a gentle, loving touch.
Oh, and it’s sticky stuff so cover your surface and hands with lots of flour. Since you are kneading quickly, you won’t be adding much more flour to the dough.
Enjoying your cheddar buttermilk biscuits
Personally, I love these cheddar buttermilk biscuits with a nice bowl of cauliflower soup or as a snack with some honey.
You can also swap the cheddar for another cheese or rosemary. Like many of my recipes, they are pretty versatile since that’s how I think baking and cooking should be. Whether it is cheddar, rosemary, dried cranberries or whatever you are feeling at the moment, these biscuits are sure to hit the spot!Print
Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits make a great accompaniment to any meal. Easy to make and done in less than 40 minutes.
- 1 3/4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cups Cheddar Cheese (grated)
- 6 tbsp (85g) Butter (Cold and diced)
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk (well shaken)
- Preheat oven to 425°
- In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients.
- Add butter. With your fingers blend the butter until it looks like coarse sand.
- Add cheese and buttermilk. Mix the ingredients together with a spatula and do not over-mix. The dough should be sticky.
- Transfer to a very well floured surface and knead around 5-8 times. Dust with flour if it is sticky.
- Shape dough into a sausage. Cut the sausage into 6 pieces. Form each piece into a circle.
- Place on lined baking tray, with at least an inch between biscuits.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. (May vary with type of oven)
- Cuisine: Bread
- Serving Size: 1
Kortney is your typical atopic triad! She manages asthma, eczema, environmental and food allergies. Kortney is a co-creator of the online community Allergy Travels and co-host of The Itch Podcast. She wants to spread joy in a community that can easily see the hard side of life with atopic disease and believes that you can have a full life with food allergies, it may just be lived a little differently!